If you look at the results of the five Assembly elections. Congress did well in 3 states but failed miserably in 2. Let’s analyze- Congress performed well in Punjab, Manipur(even after incumbency) and Goa because of its regional leaders. But, it failed where Rahul Gandhi did thousands of Kilo Meter's Yatra and proactively campaigned and covered 141 assembly constituencies.
The Congress was founded as far back as 1885, but now it has seriously depleted and eroded from its strongholds. It's a hard time for Congress ever.
Here are 5 pointers from my side, which can help Congress to rise from the ashes-
1. It should stop ‘extreme and unnecessary appeasement of minority’ politics
2. It should give more power to its regional leaders .
3. Rahul Gandhi should take voluntary retirement from politics, get married and start a family or just enjoy traveling and pursue his passion
4. Appoint Sonia Gandhi as Marg Darshak (Like Advani and Mulayam) of INC and give chance to intelligent people like Shashi Tharoor, Jairam Ramesh etc to lead Congress
5. It should think about masses and immediately stop working on vote bank politics.
Why do we even need congress?
Because, the opposition has a crucial role to play in the development of the country. There is always a need of a watchdog in any functional democracy